Thursday, March 28, 2019

Game 1 - Bash Brothers


The Cubs went to Arlington Texas with a lot of question marks surrounding them. Would the hitting finally catch up to the pitching this year after falling off a cliff last year? Would the pitching now fall off the cliff with Lester getting older and seemingly a parade of relievers shuttling back and forth between AAA Iowa and Chicago?

Basically everyone thought the Cubs had the talent to be the best in the league but predictions varied wildly from winning the World Series to not even making the playoffs.

I would dare say a 12-4 shellacking of the Rangers was a hearty start to the season and now everyone has to be thinking of them as real contenders (I know, I know, 161 games to go this season).


The biggest takeaway from the game was the mashing of taters by Baez and Bryant. I think we have a new Bash Brothers on our hands here, I am calling it first! Baez hit 2 with 4 RBIs, Bryant hit 1 and came away with 3 RBIs.

Everyone hit as well (there were 13 hits overall) and even Heyward went 2 for 5.

On a slightly less positive note, Lester looked fine getting the W but not great. Strop and Montgomery combined to give up another 2 runs and the Cubs are counting on those guys to pitch clean sheets. At least Rosario made things happen with 2 Ks in 1 inning of work.

It is tough to quibble with a 12-4 stomping and with an off day tomorrow, I will be dreaming of victories this weekend in Texas.

This is Cubs Watch 2019, my blog attempting to watch every game of the Cubs in 2019 (something I haven't done, almost ever. So for each game I am going to let you know how I am doing on my quest.

Did I watch Game 1: No but listened on the radio.

Watched Cubs Game: 0
Listened to Cubs Game: 1
Ignored Everything and Read Bleed Cubbie Blue's Recap: 0

All pictures are used herein for news and commentary purposes only. All copyrights reserved to their respective owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Game 66- Brad Brach and the Murphtones

There are two people in the 2019 season that have the power to derail any Cubs game. The first is Daniel Murphy (former Cub but I never r...